Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Managing Performance?

In getting back from the ICE conference and getting back into the swing of things, it's become apparent that in order to be effective at helping leaders and employees manage their performance, I need to be on my game at managing my own. I got stuck in DC last Wednesday due to cancelled flights and wicked thunderstorms, and found that I am more reliable on my self than originally thought. I found a hotel, arranged a flight home the next day, and settled in for the night.

On the way home, I finished Renee Mauborgne's Blue Ocean Strategy (which I thoroughly enjoyed and immediately began an evangelical sharing with fellow WLP professionals) and started sketching out how I can get out of a red ocean of consulting and get into a blue ocean where competition is irrelevant. Mind you this was done on the back of a barf bag, however what I planned out is already in action and I'm already seeing results.

The kickoff was a call to action for innovation from Dr. Stephen Lundin's CATS: The Nine Lives of Innovation and is being carried forward with the desire to be found in blue ocean. Follow me here and on Twitter and I'll share books, blogs, posts, and all sorts of info that I find as I search high and low for the support to keep moving forward. I feel as if I have one of those jet engines behind me driving me onward. This is only going to get better...

No comments:

Post a Comment